to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC deductions for HB and ESA

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

Can anybody make sense of the following deductions on my clients’ UC award statement? Client is getting contributory ESA, so I expected to see the second entry for ESA, but what’s the first one? And what’s the HB deduction?
Incidentally, this is one of those ones where somebody is claiming CA but there was no Carer Element.

As you were still receiving benefits when your claim started
Housing Benefit -£31.73
Employment and Support Allowance -£20.89

As this is an average of other benefits that you’re continuing to claim
Employment and Support Allowance -£483.82
Carer’s Allowance £286.65

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

Was there any income related ESA before the UC claim?  If so, is it overlapping payments clawed back under Reg 10 of the UC (TP) Regs?  Or would they normally be shown in a different way?  If there was no ESA(ir), overlapping payments wouldn’t explain it anyway.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

According to ATLAS it was always C-ESA with SG, and HB calculated on that basis. Partner was working and earning about £120 per week.

Apparently HB was suspended when the client/tenant/claimant told us they’d claimed UC, and once we got the stop notice there was £31.73 left to pay of the two week run-on, and this was paid during the first AP (as you would expect it to be). There was no overpayment.

I think the answer is that the deductions don’t make sense, so we’ll get an MR in pronto.

It’s just a bit worrying that this sort of mistake is being made. These seem to be elementary errors and if claimants don’t have access to advisers then they will just go unchallenged. I wonder how many get through for every one we spot.