Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Settled status- applies from the date of the decision, not from the date of application :(

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

So frustrating! My client applied for settled status in the beginning of August. At the same time he applied for UC.
Settled status granted on 07/10/19. The letter states “Your status takes effect from the date of this letter, which can be found above.”

If my client takes this letter to DWP, he is unlikely to be found eligible to UC from before that October date, meaning he will lose about 8 weeks of UC. I will then need to do a shedload of casework, arguing retained worker status (client was self-employed, then had an accident, had to stop working etc etc)

The Home Office delays are famous but at least they could specify that the status applies from the date that client provided all information required to make a decision. 

UGHH!

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Jo_Smith - 14 October 2019 03:03 PM

The Home Office delays are famous but at least they could specify that the status applies from the date that client provided all information required to make a decision. 

UGHH!

Except they couldn’t. The law is clear that leave/status applies from the date it is granted. This has always been the case with any sort of leave granted by the Home office and it is still the case with settled/pre-settled status.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

Oh :(
“The law is an ass”