mixed age couple getting back onto PC?

< 1 2 3

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

From the other side - 18 August 2020 01:57 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a similar (ish) scenario but I do not think it will be possible to now enter claim for PC. Client, male, on UC and 61 (29/3/57) moves in with partner, female, age 65 (26/10/53) and in receipt of SRP and HB. No PC claim by her as unaware that she could have! They moved in together on 28/3/19 prior to the cut off date in May 19 for mixed age PC claims. He put her on his UC claim but after taking into account her SRP (£740 monthly) they only have a small amount left which is paid towards housing costs.

Any views on whether a backdated PC could be possible, as stated earlier I don’t think so but asking just in case there is something I have missed?

As backdating is a maximum of three months the last date on which a MAC couple could make a claim for PC was August 2019.

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 241

Mine was successful because the UC claim was withdrawn. I think as your client’s made a UC claim and it’s been paid, as far as I can tell there’s no going back (unless they were a SDP gateway case and claimed in error).

It’s a real shame how unknown & underclaimed PC is as the income difference between a pension age claim and UC is really significant in a lot of cases.

From the other side
forum member

CRU/CARF-FIFE

Send message

Total Posts: 176

Thanks, that’s the confirmation I was looking for.

Shame for the clients as it makes a big difference, the SRP is supporting two people rather than the one it was intended for!