Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

UK state pension - would it include any entitlement due to work abroad?

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

I’m working with a claimant who is originally from Poland.  She has lived in the UK for a number of years and receives a small state retirement pension.  Does anyone know if any entitlement to a state pension from Poland would be taken into account when her state pension was awarded?

From my reading, it looks like there may be an issue if the Polish retirement age was higher than in the UK, but it isn’t so would the UK when assessing entitlement here also have taken into account any pension due related to employment she previously had in Poland?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

There’s some general information here https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/national-insurance-migrants/national-insurance-and-uk-state-pension with examples.

Also here https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/living-and-working-overseas.
I note this last page indicates that employment in another EEA country can help you meet the qualifying years condition but do not count when working out how much pension is to be paid. This second link refers to the New State Pension since 2016, if your client’s pension predates that different rules may have applied.

[ Edited: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:35 pm by Ianb ]
Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

Thanks for that - the info was really useful and I’ve now passed it back to the Pension Service to see if her Polish entitlement was checked when SRP decided as per international agreements.  It looks like not in this case….

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Please post back when outcome is known. (Although I posted the first link I didn’t fully understand it!)