to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Disappearing UC claims

Dan Manville
forum member

Mental health, Wolverhampton CC Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 2160

I’m just about to make a Right of Access request which will hopefully sort this out but as it’s a quandary I thought I’d throw it to the field and gather people’s thoughts.

I’ve a client who made a UC claim; couldn’t complete to “submit” stage and it closed.  I’m now in a position where I need to challenge that decision, however the case managers can only see claims that have been submitted. I suspect details of the claim will be in the service logs, hence my RoA.

I’m curious as to how people might approach this.

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare Rights Advisor, CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 571

1. The DWP position on this is I think that your client did not make a defective claim.

2. We have permission to argue that is wrong and that once “Make a Claim” is clicked then a defective claim has been made (case reference CUC/968/2019).

Not sure Dan if your question is about the practicalities of prising the record of what you say is a defective claim out of DWP or instead is about the merits of an argument it was a defectice claim / needed to have a decision notified etc?

Dan Manville
forum member

Mental health, Wolverhampton CC Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 2160

Martin Williams - 16 August 2019 04:55 PM

Not sure Dan if your question is about the practicalities of prising the record of what you say is a defective claim out of DWP or instead is about the merits of an argument it was a defectice claim / needed to have a decision notified etc?

A bit of both I suspect. I know there are service logs that will probably reveal the defective claims; the RoA request went yesterday for those.  I was curious how people might approach the situation if they’ve seen it.

If ever you’ve received a request for the digital info held on an ESA claim it yields reams of individual entries that are quite difficult to interrogate; I’m worring I might run into that again.

I’d guess I’ll be staying any arguments behind your case. I will watch with baited breath.

[ Edited: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:40 am by Dan Manville ]