to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Forced onto UC instead of ESA

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I’m out of the office at the moment and can’t check anything. I have come across a claimant forced to claim UC instead of ESA. She is a single person and was in full time ed at the time and in receipt of PIP DL. I advised her to claim ESA last year and she submitted an ESA1 on 30th August. She then got a call from ESA on 19th September, who advised that as she was in a UC area, she must claim that instead. This is the first one of these I have dealt with. So what can she claim now as she would have been entitled to SDP?

Can she argue incorrect advice and ask to be put onto ESA or does she need to apply for the compensation?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Are you saying she was entitled to SDP through a different benefit, or just that she would have received SDP in any potential ESA claim?

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

She would have been entitled to it. She wasn’t previously in receipt of anything other than PIP.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Unfortunately, DWP are correct in that case. She needed entitlement to SDP through a different benefit in order to claim ESA.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Ok thanks Charles.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

This has nothing to do with the SDP gateway because it didn’t exist at the dates concerned, this is to do with full/live service.

But you have not told us the two most important bits of information: (1) When did her postcode go full service? and (2) Did she actually claim UC and if so when?

If it is correct that the area was full service when she claimed ESA, then she should have taken the DWP advice and claimed UC. If she didn’t then there is no comeback against anyone. The only thing she could claim now would be UC. The fact that she has some abstract hypothetical entitlement to the SDP on a benefit which no longer exists for her doesn’t change this.

If the DWP are wrong, and it was a live service area when she claimed ESA, then they still need to deal with her ESA claim - which is probably payable and probably would include the SDP. If she did take their advice and claimed UC, then she will be entitled to the compensation payments as set out in the new regs / could make a garden variety maladministration complaint / could speak to Leigh Day.

[ Edited: 1 Aug 2019 at 01:16 pm by Elliot Kent ]