Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Two changes of circs in the same benefit week

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Just wanted to check if I’m on the right track with this one:
Tenant on HB has a non-dep daughter who is a full time student. Course finishes on the 27/6 (a Thursday). Breakdown in relationship and the daughter moves out on the 30/6 (a Sunday). HB duly informed and account suspended pending a request for further info re daughter’s new address and evidence of earnings for the 3 days when she wasn’t a student. Tenant knows neither (though the daughter does have a p/t job it is unclear whether she worked that week or not).
Looking at the regs (79 HB Regs) a change of circs takes effect on the following Monday after the change but where there are two changes in the same week but taking effect in different weeks, the change takes effect from the date of the change itself.
So my small brain applies this as meaning that as these two changes of circs take effect in the same benefit week, and as the non-dep was (albeit for part of the week) a student in the change of circs week and then not present on the date the change takes effect, the NDD should not be applied, as it stops taking effect in the same week she stopped being a student.
Am I right in thinking this or will there be a NDD applied for 3 days?
Many thanks.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Looks correct to me. I would just add that usually even if the changes would have taken effect in different weeks, the changes generally both take effect from the first day of that benefit week, so you’d have still been fine.

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Many thanks Charles.