to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Supported Housing & The Benefit Cap

Billy
forum member

Welfare rights - Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Hi apologies if this has been covered. We have a client who is living in supported accommodation who is receiving IS , TC , and CB. She has had her HB reduced as she is capped.

The LA are saying although the housing benefit is not taken into account for benefit cap purposes the total amount of her other benefits are more than the cap therefore there is a reduction in her HB award. Has anybody had a similar case ? The landlord is telling me that other LAS are not applying the cap in this way.

If our LA is correct is there anything stopping us applying for a DHP to cover the shorttfall ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1418

They are correct about this. It is possible the cases with other LAs involve claimants on UC, in which case no cap is applied in HB.

I can’t see any reason why a DHP could not be given.

Billy
forum member

Send message

Thanks Charles.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

If they’re in Supported Accomodation why aren’t they on PIP? I don’t know anyone in the 100 or so SA flats I service that wouldn’t qualify.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

Very much depends on the client group catered for.  Single homeless projects have service users with various issues, some will have ESA and/or PIP, others won’t.  Service users in a DV refuge are no more likely to be on PIP than anyone else.  Can’t take it for granted.

Billy
forum member

Send message

This is a DV case.