to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Child benefit and NRPF

DebbieS
forum member

Reading Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Client has no recourse to public funds but his two children aged 16 and 17 (school wise, years 11 and 13 respectively) were recently granted indefiinite leave to remain and are both in full time non-advanced education.

Is the parent entitled to child benefit for the children?  I’ve read the technical manual and CPAG Benefits for Migrants and I don’t think they are but wanted to check I’m not missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

I’m sure I remember this being discussed on a thread where a possible workaround was suggested. I can’t seem to find the right thread now but I remember that the gist of it was that a person who contributes at least the amount of Child Benefit to the child’s maintenance can claim, so a friend or relative who is entitled to public funds could claim for the children and then pass that money on to the parent.

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

DebbieS
forum member

Reading Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Thanks for the replies. I’m fairly sure this situation is not covered by the exceptions in the HO public funds guidance and (with my immigration hat on) I’d be very uncomfortable suggesting he gets someone else to claim for him. Both parents have permission to work so unfortunatley I guess they will have to work more hours (I think one of them is on a zero hours contract).

Thanks again.