to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Disappearing Online Appeals

Dan Manville
forum member

Mental health, Wolverhampton CC Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 2080

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I have one client for whom I’ve twice tried to register the appeal online but it’s vanished and CTS have nither acknowledged it nor can find it on thier system.

I’m wondering whether anyone’s got an idea what’s going wrong?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 997

No but I imagine that they will be interested in the feedback on the beta system…

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 54

I’ve had that happen to one of my clients. We have produced evidence of client receiving the SMS message, and me, as a rep an email to confirm appeal submitted online, but the appeal itself whoosh into big black hole. Resubmitted the appeal (hard copy!) and enclosed an explanatory letter and evidence to address the issue of lateness.
Guess what? Appeal thrown out because of the lateness.
Complaint submitted. Wait and see. Client not happy at all.

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare Rights Advisor, CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 562

Jo_Smith - 30 April 2019 08:38 PM

I’ve had that happen to one of my clients. We have produced evidence of client receiving the SMS message, and me, as a rep an email to confirm appeal submitted online, but the appeal itself whoosh into big black hole. Resubmitted the appeal (hard copy!) and enclosed an explanatory letter and evidence to address the issue of lateness.
Guess what? Appeal thrown out because of the lateness.
Complaint submitted. Wait and see. Client not happy at all.

Jo - just to be clear you can apply for permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal against a decision refusing to admit a late appeal (grounds here would obviously be that it was not in fact late….). As proceedings have not started it is not one you need a statement of reasons for first- just send the permission to appeal application in to the FtT- happy to look at papers here at the Upper Tribunal Assistance Project  division of CPAG….

Dan Manville
forum member

Send message

The walls have ears…

The SSCS1 has barely left our organisation and; a month after I last tried to lodge it electronically, I have had the email telling me it’s lodged.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer (Take-Up), Salford WRS.

Send message

Total Posts: 1996

I wonder if this is as digital in practice as UC live service was with it’s pencils; spreadsheets and much walking from office to office?

Is the acknowledgement not yet fully automated I wonder?

If only HMCTS would bother to talk to us on a regular basis!

Dan Manville
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 02 May 2019 11:10 AM

Is the acknowledgement not yet fully automated I wonder?

I’m using this service a lot, it changes quite frequently; good evidence of an iterative approach. I think it’s teething troubles. I was wondering whether it was me…

If only HMCTS would bother to talk to us on a regular basis!

Being close to Birmingham we’ve had a hand in the development process so I have, now, discussed it with them.  I’ve not seen many pencils in the meetings I’ve been part of :)

If there are any other teething troubles maybe best to leave them on this thread…