to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Valuation Tribunal Hearings?

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

I’m currently running a Council Tax Reduction appeal which is heard by the Valuation Tribunal. I’ve done quite a few appeals in front of the First-tier Tribunal but I’ve never done a Valuation Tribunal hearing. I’ve found the procedure rules (which seem broadly similar to the First-tier) but I’m just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions about anything I should be aware of?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

CHAC Adviser - 01 April 2019 12:36 PM

I’m currently running a Council Tax Reduction appeal which is heard by the Valuation Tribunal. I’ve done quite a few appeals in front of the First-tier Tribunal but I’ve never done a Valuation Tribunal hearing. I’ve found the procedure rules (which seem broadly similar to the First-tier) but I’m just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions about anything I should be aware of?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

You need to go into meticulous detail in any submissions. These appeals are a long way from the VT’s comfort zone so every last detail needs spelling out.

[ Edited: 1 Apr 2019 at 12:55 pm by Dan_Manville ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

There are a number of things you don’t get warned about.

Often get t’other side routinely turning up with a solicitor in tow. Very little informality in the FTT sense. Suit and tie job for the tribunal; the solicitor etc. Also be prepared for there to appear to be an uncomfortably close and over-familiar relationship between the LA staff and the panel.

Also, and important to know if you have a client with you, these hearings are not in private. In practice they will be in some buildings but not in all. It came as something of a shock to me many moons ago to walk into what I assumed was a waiting area and to then find myself at the back of a room where a tribunal was taking place at the front being witnessed by all the subsequent appellants and their reps at the back. At a different venue (Trafford I recall) we were allowed to take our observers/waiting area seats alongside an appellant as their case was starting.

VTs experience is very much not what you would expect of a FTT social security appeal. I’m guessing one of the reasons Dan says you will (correctly) need to go into meticulous detail is because the panel members will literally need leading through even the most basic arguments by hand.

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the responses so far very useful!

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

Speaking generally: I’d reinforce what others have said; the VT seems to be comprised mainly of well-meaning accountants, surveyors, etc. who don’t deal with a lot of CTR or DCTR appeals and have no understanding or experience of benefits. So you need to be prepared to teach them the law and then explain how it applies in your client’s case. You need to be thorough.

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Send message

Just to let everyone know that I had my hearing today and your advice was all very useful, I’d have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle without it!

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Send message

Finally another big thank you to everyone for your suggestions got the result today in the post and we’ve been successful which is definitely in part to me being properly prepared for the differences between a VT and the FTT!!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

CHAC Adviser - 13 June 2019 03:07 PM

Finally another big thank you to everyone for your suggestions got the result today in the post and we’ve been successful which is definitely in part to me being properly prepared for the differences between a VT and the FTT!!

Yay .... brilliant result!