Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Yes there is an MRN - you just can’t see it

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

This is getting sillier and sillier.

Claimant seeks Mandatory Recon of an HRT decision (UC). He is told over the phone that the decision is upheld.

No MRN arrives. DWP will not provide us with one. We lodge an appeal anyway and at once run in to problems because there is no MRN.

DWP response to my asking where it is:

A determination was made on 19 December which indicated that our original decision to disallow Mr X’s UC could not be changed. This was uploaded to his UC History but he may not be able to view it because this claim is now dormant. If Mr X would like a copy of this, he will need to submit a Right of Access Request in line with the following guidance [link]

Er…what?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Andrew Dutton - 20 March 2019 02:09 PM

A determination was made on 19 December which indicated that our original decision to disallow Mr X’s UC could not be changed. This was uploaded to his UC History but he may not be able to view it because this claim is now dormant. If Mr X would like a copy of this, he will need to submit a Right of Access Request in line with the following guidance [link]

Er…what?

dear lord

and no doubt this is one reason why they want everything online…..

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’m in the midst of this with an ESA overpayment. They’ve sent my request back twice now for the pettiest of reasons.

KMJones
forum member

Early Warning System, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 48

In case it’s of interest: in our last DWP meeting, I asked whether dormant claims could be accessed by claimants at all.  I proposed that the claims could at least be viewed, if not permit actions and they’ve agreed to look into it.  Shall follow up in next meeting!

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

More fun with RoA - I have been asking since 2017 for copies of sanctions decisions made about a JSA claimant.  No reply was forthcoming for months, until I made a formal complaint - but DWP refused to provide the sanctions decisions saying that it was too much work so an RoA would be needed.

RoA duly submitted.

I now have 1136 pages to go through.

1-1-3-6.

I wanted what would amount to fewer than ten pages.

What in Hades is going on????

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

Andrew Dutton - 20 March 2019 02:09 PM

This is getting sillier and sillier.

Claimant seeks Mandatory Recon of an HRT decision (UC). He is told over the phone that the decision is upheld.

No MRN arrives. DWP will not provide us with one. We lodge an appeal anyway and at once run in to problems because there is no MRN.

DWP response to my asking where it is:

Er…what?

Have you tried logging onto the closed claim? UC HRT failures are about a third of my caseload now and I’ve always been able to access the MRN just by having the claimant log onto their account which carries on in a “read only” fashion - except where the claimant has subsequently made a new claim which seems to essentially “overwrite” the first.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

‘Have you tried logging onto the closed claim? UC HRT failures are about a third of my caseload now and I’ve always been able to access the MRN just by having the claimant log onto their account which carries on in a “read only” fashion - except where the claimant has subsequently made a new claim which seems to essentially “overwrite” the first.’

There is a new claim so this will be the reason nothing is available.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

I’d certainly be inviting the tribunal to explain what they consider to be the ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’ in their rules when no physical copy exists or ever will.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

My experience is the same as Elliot’s. The decision letters and MRN are still accessible via the online account unless a further claim has since been made.

Local partnership managers have been helpful in getting paper copies issued.

A problem I have had twice in past two weeks is that UC MRNs do not contain a date of issue creating further delay as HMCTS seek clarification over whether appeal was lodged in time. One of the MRNs also failed to include any identifying information about the claimant (no name, address, NINO etc.)