to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

19/20 proposed benefit rates

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Hi all, just looking at some of next year’s benefit rates & wondering how these relate to increases in SRP age…

e.g. under HB, Pensioner, Personal allowances - there are the following:

Single or lone parent has attained the qualifying age for Pension Credit but under 65 / Proposed rate 167.25
Couple – one or both has attained the qualifying age for Pension Credit but both under 65 / Proposed rate 255.25
Single or lone parent - 65 and over / Proposed rate £181
Couple – one or both 65 and over / Proposed rate £270.60

Aren’t the first two impossible through 19/20?
& should the second two not read SRP age and over rather than 65 and over?

Am I missing something?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

I agree the first two are impossible. It’s similar to the issue mentioned in this thread:
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14155/

The second two are only applicable to those over pension-age, but the legislation still refers to the age of 65. It doesn’t affect anything, as those aged between 65 and pension-age aren’t entitled to housing benefit under the pension-age regulations anyway (which is where all these amounts are prescribed).

The “impossible” figures still have to be up-rated under s. 150 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992, which is why they’re included in the up-rating order.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Charles - 08 March 2019 03:14 AM

I agree the first two are impossible. It’s similar to the issue mentioned in this thread:
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14155/

The second two are only applicable to those over pension-age, but the legislation still refers to the age of 65. It doesn’t affect anything, as those aged between 65 and pension-age aren’t entitled to housing benefit under the pension-age regulations anyway (which is where all these amounts are prescribed).

The “impossible” figures still have to be up-rated under s. 150 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992, which is why they’re included in the up-rating order.

Hugely helpful. Thanks Charles

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

This may also be a case of the compiler of the proposed rates (published in November 2018) not reflecting HB pension age regs change from 6 December 2018 to refer to ‘attaining pension age’ rather than ‘65 and over’ (changes to Sch 3 para 1 by reg 7(7) of SI.No.1187/2019).

We should have the uprating regulations laid any day now to hopefully clear it up.

Charles
forum member

Send message

Wow, thanks. I’d missed that!

The draft up-rating order doesn’t reflect that, and I don’t think the order can be made differently unless new draft regs are laid before parliament.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2019/9780111179888/contents

[ Edited: 8 Mar 2019 at 11:50 am by Charles ]
Charles
forum member

Send message

The Up-rating Order has now been made. It does use the old version of the HB(SPC) Regs, without the amendments Stuart referred to. I’ve emailed the JCSI to let them know about this drafting error.