to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

New claim procedure for couples

Clara
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 35

My colleague was training people yesterday and they had been trained recently by the dwp.  They said there was a new claim procedure for couples where only one member of the couple makes an online claim! 

We didn’t know there had been a change to the system where one makes a claim gets a code and the other member of the couple uses the code to link the claims. 

We checked on gov,uk and there is info, updated in Feb, telling couples that only one member makes the online claim .  Does anyone have any more info about how this will work?  Will they both have access to the journal?  What happens now if they split up or get together with someone else? 

Any info very welcome.

Clara
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I must admit, I wonder if this has been done in anticioation of mixed-age couples changes?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

I just had a go at doing a couple claim - and it still does the old partner code thing and says you both have to claim! I have emailed UC via stakeholders to query this…

Clara
forum member

Send message

Thanks Daphne.  Yes Paul, I also wondered if it was something to do with the mixed age couples.  I’m pleased it hasn’t changed yet, means our training was right for a few more days at least!!

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

This is my reply -

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. You are right, the information held is incorrect and we have asked for it to be corrected which hopefully will happen today.

So looks like all false alarm? Will keep an eye on the gov.uk page…

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

It’s fixed - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-couples-an-introduction/universal-credit-further-information-for-couples#claiming-universal-credit

If you are part of a couple you and your partner will need to make a joint claim for Universal Credit.

You begin by creating a Universal Credit online account each. The first person to create their account will be given a partner code, which will be displayed on screen.

This code will need to be input by your partner when they register for their Universal Credit online account. This ensures the accounts are joined together and you are correctly claiming as a couple.

Panic over!

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

S’funny!  Just revisited the link and the page has changed fundamentally.  So, back to linking codes etc etc.  As you were, Welf buddies, as you were….....

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

EJ - 04 March 2019 03:00 PM

S’funny!  Just revisited the link and the page has changed fundamentally.  So, back to linking codes etc etc.  As you were, Welf buddies, as you were….....

Sorry Daphne - you got there first!! As always, thank you for looking after us all :-)

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Given that this is presumably what it used to say it does beg the question as to how the content gets revised to say something that is incorrect!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

EJ - 04 March 2019 03:00 PM

S’funny! Just revisited the link and the page has changed fundamentally ...

Although it suggests that the page was last updated on 25 February 2019!

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

It got discussed at stakeholder meeting on tuesday - when they updated it on 25th they somehow got a bit of text from live service mixed in!!

bit cheeky that they then changed but changed the ‘last updated’ date though!

but at least we know where we are now…

Equalitygal
forum member

Project Leader, Equality and Welfare Reform Transformation Project, Rossendale C

Send message

Total Posts: 5

This was really useful as we are also just delivering training which includes this issue.

Does anybody know, when does the claim start?  I usually say when you hit “submit” but how does it work in joint couple claims?

Apologies if this is in wrong thread.

Thanks.

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

Equalitygal - 12 March 2019 11:21 AM

This was really useful as we are also just delivering training which includes this issue.

Does anybody know, when does the claim start?  I usually say when you hit “submit” but how does it work in joint couple claims?

Apologies if this is in wrong thread.

Thanks.

The claim starts when both members of the couple have clicked on “submit”.