Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

How do you close a tax-free childcare account?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 89

It’s not possible to claim UC and use the Tax-free Childcare (TFC) scheme. I know that if you set up a TFC account when you have a UC or tax credits claim that claim is terminated. However I’m trying to find how to go the other way - cancel the TFC account and claim UC. I cannot find any information about closing down a TFC account - the CPAG handbook says on p.864 “The government says that you will be able to leave the tax-free childcare scheme (and possibly get UC or tax credits again), but can only do so a limited number of times, unless there has been a relevant change of circumstances - e.g. a change in the make-up of your household or a change in your work.”

My client has been using TFC but their relationship has ended and she needs to claim UC. As she can’t have both TFC and UC she needs to close the TFC account but I can’t find anything anywhere about how to do that. Does anyone know whether simply making a claim for UC will close the account?

victoriatodd
forum member

Welfare Rights Technical Officer, Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 52

My understanding is that it is possible to close a TFC account - have you tried phoning the childcare helpline? They should be able to action it. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/childcare-service-helpline

Victoria

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 89

Thank you for that - I have informed my client