to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Sda and contribution based esa

LJF
forum member

Benefits caseworker - Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 143

Hi all. Does anyone know much about sda from before age 25 and ESA. I have 1 client who is still getting sda - are there some people who still get it?

However aside from that I have a client telling me she believes that anyone on sda from an early age who are now on ESA it should be conts based ESA rather than income related ESA that the DWP are paying her

Thanks

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Some people are still getting it!
Is your client who used to get sda in the support or wrac component of ESA - if wrac the contribution based would be subject to the 365 day time limit and so would have stopped.  If support component - cont based with an income-related top-up should be paid.

LJF
forum member

Benefits caseworker - Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 143

Support group always. She has just started getting a private pension and they are deducting it all saying she is only on iresa.
Can you send me the legislation that states all sda should now be conts based ESA

From the other side
forum member

CRU/CARF-FIFE

Send message

Total Posts: 176

I would also wonder if SDA has the same transitional protection as Incapacity Benefit if claim was prior to 6/4/01 where the occpen would be disregarded as long as ESA cont based is in payment. If claim after 6/4/01 and DLA HRC/PIP (ERDL)/AFIP in payment when converted to ESA cont based then transitional protection will also apply. If client is on ESA income related then I believe occpen will be taken into account.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958