Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Penalty Charge notices/ Prescrpitions and Industrial Injuries

National Debtline
forum member

Information department - National Debtline, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Good Morning,

I have a client who has applied on a HCT1 form for free prescriptions. however whilst calculating my clients income the NHS have calculated his Industrial Injuries benefit as an income. This has meant he is £13.00 above the threshold for free prescriptions? My understanding is that Industrial injuries is non means tested? Has anyone else come across this?

Please see atached

Thanks in advance

File Attachments

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

National Debtline - 18 January 2019 08:50 AM

Good Morning,

I have a client who has applied on a HCT1 form for free prescriptions. however whilst calculating my clients income the NHS have calculated his Industrial Injuries benefit as an income. This has meant he is £13.00 above the threshold for free prescriptions? My understanding is that Industrial injuries is non means tested? Has anyone else come across this?

Please see atached

Thanks in advance

Industrial Injuries Benefit (IIB) is taken fully into account as income when calculating amounts in respect of health benefits (with the exception of constant attendance allowance and extremely severe disablement allowance).

The fact that IIB isn’t means-tested isn’t really or nor there as far as the income eligibility when assessing entitlement to health benefitsis concerned I’m afraid.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

What Paul said

IIDB is not means tested so someone could end up a millionaire and still get IIDB if entitled.

free prescriptions ARE means tested, and IIDB is income for the purpose

the only things that get you free scrips without more were Income Support and other means tested benefits, since ipso facto if you were already on them you’d already satisfied the means test