to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Case studies needed where EEA nationals are having difficulty claiming UC

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

The Work and Pensions Committee has asked NAWRA for case studies where EEA nationals are having difficulty when applying to claim universal credit (as part of its Welfare safety net inquiry). Please could you email me (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) or direct message me any case studies setting out (in as much as you have) -

- client’s situation - nationality, household details, brief history etc
- what happened when claimed?
- what should have happened?
- what’s happened since and time taken?
- effect on claimant - hardship, destitution, homelessness etc

Case studies are welcome both where the DWP have got it wrong and EEA national should be entitled, or where EEA national isn’t entitled because of the harshness of the UC regulations.

Thanks in advance…

[ Edited: 15 Jan 2019 at 04:21 pm by Daphne ]
Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

How many do you want Daphne?

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

As many as you can face sending Elliot - the more we give the Committee, the more powerful it is I think

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Come to think of it, we have so many examples both locally and (from what I gather) from Shelter nationally, that we could probably justify putting a whole submission together ourselves if the committee would be interested… I don’t know if you could message me with a contact and I can try and prod the right people.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

I’m sure they’d be more than happy to receive evidence from you too - I’ll email the guy who contacted me and copy you in…

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Thanks a bunch Daphne, I think it’s fairly well known that this is a pet subject of mine!

alang
forum member

Paisley South HA

Send message

Total Posts: 54

Hi, I tried to send a case study. but the email was returned as undelivered as the email address was not recognised.

I tried twice both typing it in and copying/pasting.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

My bad! - I mixed up my email addresses - have edited above - should be .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) - sorry!

alang
forum member

Paisley South HA

Send message

Total Posts: 54

No bother, its en route now.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Daphne

Does their request include EU nationals who have ‘naturally migrated’ from legacy benefits (i.e having been ‘found fit’) and are refused UC under R2R although they were previouslyy accepted as having a R2R for those benefits? We are seeing far more cases like this than refused on a ‘new claim’ for UC (not previously / recently in receipt of a legacy benefit).

DWP argue in appeal submission that a previous determination of a R2R for a legacy benefit does not apply to UC following natural migration and the DM can look at the facts again ‘from scratch’ and come to a different conclusion. Err, but aren’t all decisions made by the same SSWP??

We have also been advised that UC R2R interviewing officers use a standard ‘tick box’ script of questions which does not allow for follow up questions to gather additional information. Local MP is trying to obtain a copy of this.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Hi peter - I think anything where EEA nationals are experiencing hardship either because of regs or DWP practice is of interest to them so do please send

Anne Corden
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Bradford CAB, West Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Hi Daphne

I am trying to send you a case study but your email address doesn’t seem to be working.

Any suggestions?

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Sorry Anne - I originallly had it wrong but have now corrected - but try either of .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) - thanks and sorry for inconvenience!