Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Number of people who have died while waiting for PIP claim to be decided

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 2353

Joined: 14 March 2014

Written question in the House of Commons highlights -

Over 3.6 million applications to PIP were made between April 2013 and 30th April 2018. Of these:

- 4,760 claimants1 died between their case being referred to, and returned from, an assessment provider;
- 73,800 claimants died within 6 months of their claim being registered; and
- 17,070 claimants died after registering but prior to the DWP making a decision on their claim.

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 676

Joined: 21 March 2016

Further data on PIP claimants, deaths and special rules claims for period between April 2013 and 30 April 2018 -

‘Nearly 109,000 applications were made under special rules for terminally ill people and 5,290 of these claimants died after registering but prior to the DWP making a decision on their claim’ (written Commons answer 209777)

‘3,680 Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claimants died within three months of their initial application being disallowed.’ (written Commons answer 209780)

A further written answer sets out figures for PIP claimants initially rejected under normal rules who then make a special rules claim -

‘Between April 2013 and October 2018, 5,670 Personal Independence Payments (PIP) claims were registered under Special Rules for Terminally Ill people (SRTI) by claimants who had previously been disallowed at initial decision under normal rules prior to 30 April 2018. To put this into context, over 4 million applications to PIP were made between April 2013 and 31 October 2018. Of these 5,670 claims, 20 per cent were made within 3 months of the original disallowance, 36 per cent were made within 6 months of the original disallowance and 58 per cent were made within a year of the initial decision. The remaining 42 per cent were made over a year after the original claim was disallowed.’

 

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer (Take-Up), Salford WRS.

Send message

Total Posts: 2055

Joined: 17 June 2010

Do we have a comparison to DLA/AA anywhere so we can give this some context?

Dan Manville
forum member

Mental health, Wolverhampton CC Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 2160

Joined: 15 October 2012

Mike Hughes - 05 February 2019 03:08 PM

Do we have a comparison to DLA/AA anywhere so we can give this some context?

Doubtful; they took the longitudinal study down last year.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer (Take-Up), Salford WRS.

Send message

Total Posts: 2055

Joined: 17 June 2010

Thanks Dan. What a surprise. The removal of any stats. which might provide context and the ability to make a coherent judgement.

J Bathie
forum member

Family Finance Adviser, Money Advice Unit, Herts CC

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Joined: 9 January 2015

Not sure the stats they HAVE provided are coherent…

“Of these 5,670 claims, 20 per cent were made within 3 months of the original disallowance, 36 per cent were made within 6 months of the original disallowance and 58 per cent were made within a year of the initial decision. The remaining 42 per cent were made over a year after the original claim was disallowed.’

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and Advice Resources, Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 1790

Joined: 7 January 2016

J Bathie - 07 February 2019 12:20 PM

Not sure the stats they HAVE provided are coherent…

“Of these 5,670 claims, 20 per cent were made within 3 months of the original disallowance, 36 per cent were made within 6 months of the original disallowance and 58 per cent were made within a year of the initial decision. The remaining 42 per cent were made over a year after the original claim was disallowed.’

Ha! Well spotted, that’s an impressive 156% of claims they’ve looked at….

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

Joined: 14 July 2014

Well it’s cumulative right? In 20% of cases, its less than 3 months. In 36% of cases it’s less than 6 - so in 16% of cases, it is less than 6 but more than 3?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and Advice Resources, Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 1790

Joined: 7 January 2016

Elliot Kent - 07 February 2019 01:54 PM

Well it’s cumulative right? In 20% of cases, its less than 3 months. In 36% of cases it’s less than 6 - so in 16% of cases, it is less than 6 but more than 3?

D’oh, I hate stats….

claytonj
forum member

welfare rights service halton borough council

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Joined: 20 August 2010

I know of 3 cases that this has happened to in the last quarter of 2018. Two had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. One even had a copy of his DS1500 in his appeal case papers. He scored 0 points on care and mobility, despite having a previous award of PIP when he asked for the review, and the cancer having spread into his bones.  Classic examples of really poor health assessments and decision making.

Dan Manville
forum member

Mental health, Wolverhampton CC Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 2160

Joined: 15 October 2012

claytonj - 07 February 2019 04:25 PM

I know of 3 cases that this has happened to in the last quarter of 2018. Two had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. One even had a copy of his DS1500 in his appeal case papers. He scored 0 points on care and mobility, despite having a previous award of PIP when he asked for the review, and the cancer having spread into his bones.  Classic examples of really poor health assessments and decision making.

I am curious to know whether the assessment provider have gone behind the DS1500 in these cases.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 2353

Joined: 14 March 2014

In case you want some more stats - yet another written answer about numbers of PIP claimants dying before decision made…