to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

Recoverable hardship recovery from UC after sanction appeal won

From the other side
forum member

CRU/CARF-FIFE

Send message

Total Posts: 175

I am aware hardship payments are recoverable however I was off the understanding that if an appeal against the sanction was successful then the amount paid as hardship would simply be converted to the amount of UC due and a balance paid to the client for the difference between standard allowance due and hardship paid. Have I misunderstood this because UC are telling my client that the hardship paid is still recoverable and are deducting it under the heading ” Recoverable Hardship Recovery” !

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

are they paying the client the balance of UC over and above the hardship payment s/he in fact received?  or not paying at all?

From the other side
forum member

CRU/CARF-FIFE

Send message

Total Posts: 175

The sanction is now removed from her UC claim but are deducting an amount for hardship recovery.

I am meeting client later today to review her UC payments to try and ensure that she has received the correct arrears. For the majority of the period of the sanction (14 months) she was on UC live service and then was moved to Full service. UC Live Service has paid her arrears over £3000!

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

crikey

the logical thing would have been for UC to just pay her the balance due

they MAY of course have paid her the FULL AMOUNT of arrears and are then deducting the hardship payment

only doing the math will tell you which approach they have taken.

If they have done the latter, i think it’s probably something for policy teams to be notified of, as it’s daft, not to mention a major stress for people….