to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Council Tax reduction capital limit

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I’m just doing a benefit calculation for someone and downloaded the CTS scheme for Ealing Council. There is no entitlement to Council Tax support if the person’s capital is equal to or exceeds £6,000. I’ve never come across this before. As entitlement to means-tested bens with DWP usually means full entitlement to CTS, how is this justified?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2904

It is not unique to Ealing: I have come across a few schemes with a capital limit below £16,000.

CTR is not a means-tested benefit as such and there is no requirement for local authorities to match the features of means tested benefits in their scheme, other than a general requirement that the scheme be targeted at people in “financial need” - see s13A(2) of the LGFA 1992.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Only for working age claimants, people over pension age should still have the “old” rules applied under the default scheme.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

More social cleansing? London seems to be evicting low income families at an alarming rate. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/12/luxury-kensington-complex-grenfell-will-have-just-five-affordable-homes.