to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

UC housing costs for tenant, his daughter and her 2 children

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Tenant lives in a 3 bed with his daughter and her 2 children. One child is under 5 yo.  How many bedrooms are they allocated under UC FS?  Do they allocate a room for the Non dep daughter but no room for the children?

Am I right there is no Housing Cost contributions because non dep has child under 5?

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Three at least.  All occupiers are regarded as occupiers regardless of relationships within the household.  Two children would be entitled to one or two bedrooms depending on ages/genders.  Doesn’t matter whose children they are.

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

I think they have to be tenants or non deps dependants but JCP are saying they only get a room if they are the tenants dependants

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

JoW - 06 December 2018 08:49 AM

I think they have to be tenants or non deps dependants but JCP are saying they only get a room if they are the tenants dependants

that sounds like good rubbish…..

and of course if the children are opposite sexes, as and when the eldest reaches 10, they’ll have to have another room ....

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

JCP are wrong about this.

The children are actually non-dependants, but too young to attract an HCC.  All non-deps are counted as part of the “extended benefit unit” for bedroom purposes.  The law is explained in this thread