to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB and eligible service charges

stevemac
forum member

Horsham CAB, West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 117

Morning HB people - I was talking to a an advice colleague recently who works for a Housing Association. I was surprised when she told me that that tenants in their retirement scheme(s) on assured social tenancies were also paying a service charge for communal repairs which was covered by her local HB Office

My understanding was that any repairs were a fundamental part of the rent and not service chargeable

Has anyone else experience of this and if so what repairs could potentially be service chargeable for a social rent tenant.

TP45
forum member

Housing Benefit & Hostel Income Advisor - The Salvation Army, London

Send message

Total Posts: 29

As I see it, the rent charge should pay for the bricks & mortar of a property and also it’s maintenance.  This should include any upkeep to the fabric of the building.  This is distinct from a repairs or handyperson service, which is concerned with more cosmetic and small-scale tasks.  This could include putting a shelf up, repairing furniture, fixing doors, etc.  This would be a service to residents.

The local authority would have to consider if this service was concerned with the provision of adequate accommodation to be eligible for housing benefit.  In general needs stock, adequate accommodation would probably not include a repairs or handyperson service, as residents can be expected to carry these tasks out themselves (or arrange for it to be done on their behalf).  However, in accommodation which caters for more vulnerable residents, e.g. sheltered, supported, etc, then ‘adequate accommodation’ will probably include this service, as they can’t/won’t undertake it themselves.  Old caselaw CIS/1460/95 explains that adequate accommodation should take account of the needs of residents.