Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

DWP guidance to local authorities on alternative means to deliver housing benefit

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

New DWP guidance sets out alternative options adopted by some local authorities such as shared services, outsourcing and use of agency staff as and when needed.

[ Edited: 29 Nov 2018 at 12:47 pm by Stuart ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

OK, it’s Friday, I was bored.

What is HB resilience?
8. HB resilience refers to measures LAs have put in place to mitigate challenges that may impact negatively and/or interrupt altogether the delivery of the HB service to citizens

Plain English: HB Resilience means desperately trying to maintain some kind of service with slashed administration subsidy

Outsourcing
16. The term ‘outsourcing’ refers to the provision of service via a private or third sector organisation. This provision can be applied by a single LA or a group of LAs. The service (back office) is delivered, in whole or part, by the outsource company, usually remotely.

What really, this actually goes on?  It must be something very, very new, I had never heard of anything like it before

Agency staff, call-off contracts
20. As a means to respond to fluctuating demands of work, some LAs opt for using agency staff

My mind is truly blown, there is only so much cutting edge innovation I can wrap my head around in one day

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

HB Anorak - 30 November 2018 01:33 PM

OK, it’s Friday, I was bored.

Outsourcing
16. The term ‘outsourcing’ refers to the provision of service via a private or third sector organisation. This provision can be applied by a single LA or a group of LAs. The service (back office) is delivered, in whole or part, by the outsource company, usually remotely.

But there can always be innovative approaches to this ‘new fangled’ idea - such as introducing an ‘independent appeals officer’. S/he being a bit like the DWP post handling service - submit an appeal in writing for it never to be seen again (unless one asks a judge to direct that the appeal is admitted and the LA is to produce a response).

But after too many decades in benefits there really is nothing new except recycled ideas!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

I note at paragraph 17, they use Solihull MBC as an example of good practice in outsourcing their HB administration.

That would be the same Solihull HB department that recently told a pensioner wanting to make a claim that HB was now abolished and they needed to claim Universal Credit instead…..

HB Anorak
forum member

Send message

introducing an ‘independent appeals officer’. S/he being a bit like the DWP post handling service - submit an appeal in writing for it never to be seen again (unless one asks a judge to direct that the appeal is admitted and the LA is to produce a response)

It wasn’t me was it?

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

I know you are struggling to keep updated.

Here is some help.

“Insourcing” this is a remedial action which refers to the provision of service formerly provided via a private or third sector organisation, where things havnt gone quite as hoped.

“HB/HC Anorak.” this refers to the name of a RN contributor who has finally been forced to conclude that ideology has triumphed over the localised provision of help with housing cost.

You can pay me by postal order, as usual…..........

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

HB Anorak - 30 November 2018 02:03 PM

introducing an ‘independent appeals officer’. S/he being a bit like the DWP post handling service - submit an appeal in writing for it never to be seen again (unless one asks a judge to direct that the appeal is admitted and the LA is to produce a response)

It wasn’t me was it?

The ‘independent appeals officer’ is so independent we have never established their true identity - so it could be you [ National Lottery pointy finger] (at a City council beginning with O?).

HB Anorak
forum member

Send message

Not guilty in that case - I have taken an excessively long time to produce appeal subs for many authorities, but not that one