Rent arrears deductions, backdated housing costs confusion

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 111

Hello!

I’m confused again -

Client applied for UC on 2/5/18, APA (bi-monthly payment) in place.
Declared £350.83 housing costs on 04/07/18 which was outside of his assessment period (02/07/18 to 01/08/18) and the client was not paid any housing element. (Signed tenancy on 04/07/18, tenancy started on 23/07/18)

Successful backdating request; £350.83 to be backdated (decision letter dated 30/08/18). Successful APA - MPTL, £350.83 to be paid directly to LL (14/09/18). No rent shortfall.

UC in all it’s wisdom is deducting 10% of SA towards rent arrears, except that client doesn’t have rent arrears. We pointed that out to DWP, they are now deducting 20%.

What’m I missing here?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

There are some issues with payment frequencies and MPTLs that can cause arrears out of thin air. But my best guess is that all you are missing is some heavy duty welding glasses, or similar protection from being gaslighted by the Bretonesque nature of UC payment administration

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 111

UC makes me doubt my sanity every day - especially on days when it seems to make sense

Isn’t there something about special payments/ compensation for maladministration?