Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Support/supervision/ prompting

vickyn
forum member

Caseworker, Gwynedd Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi

I have a client who has been refused PIP. She has a high level of support for her mental health problems, visits a rehab centre 4-5 days a week, a NHS support worker at least once a week (as well as many phone calls in between) and a CPN every 2 weeks.  With this level of support she can manage most of the Daily Living tasks most of the time, maybe 4-5 days a week. Without the support she wouldn’t be able to do any of them.  I am struggling to find how I can argue this, neither supervision ,  prompting or reliability seem to fit the situation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

vickyn - 06 November 2018 03:07 PM

Hi

I have a client who has been refused PIP. She has a high level of support for her mental health problems, visits a rehab centre 4-5 days a week, a NHS support worker at least once a week (as well as many phone calls in between) and a CPN every 2 weeks.  With this level of support she can manage most of the Daily Living tasks most of the time, maybe 4-5 days a week. Without the support she wouldn’t be able to do any of them.  I am struggling to find how I can argue this, neither supervision ,  prompting or reliability seem to fit the situation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

In the age of cuts to a part of the NHS, that has historically always been under resourced, that is a lot of support by current mental health standards.

The Sweet & Maxwell volume 1 2018/19 commentary on ‘prompting’ page 806 may be worth having a look at and give you some ideas for exploring further?

If anything relevant to your case crops up.

would be worth considering getting a written statement from the support worker or alternatively emailing them with some open questions to the same effect.

You mentioned rehab, i’m guessing you might mean a day centre, would be worth exploring what help they provide, if only as part of the case’s narrative.

Talking of page 806, there’s page 807 the start of the commentary on the DL and the mob activities etc, a good read e.g. activity 9 page 824, if there is an argument for 9C that’s 4 points, then there is activity 10 budgeting often overlooked.

vickyn
forum member

Caseworker, Gwynedd Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Thanks for that, I will have a look.  I know, its a huge amount of support which is why it should, logically,  be relevant to eligibility.  But none of the support is there when she is doing most of the daily living activities.
The Support worker is writing a letter. I think points for social engagement (4)and budgeting (2) should be ok but I am struggling to find any more without the prompting /encouragement route.

Thanks again

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

vickyn - 08 November 2018 10:12 PM

Thanks for that, I will have a look.  I know, its a huge amount of support which is why it should, logically,  be relevant to eligibility.  But none of the support is there when she is doing most of the daily living activities.
The Support worker is writing a letter. I think points for social engagement (4)and budgeting (2) should be ok but I am struggling to find any more without the prompting /encouragement route.

Thanks again

‘But none of the support is there when she is doing most of the daily living activities’.

What are the purpose of the phone calls i.e. anything related to prompting e.g. daily living? You’ll see what i mean when you read the page on ‘prompting’ i.e. page 806.

Sometimes daycare or centres have laundrette facilities, just a thought, any evidence of gentle persuasion or otherwise to use them and why if applicable.

One last idle thought, which i’m sure you’ve covered anyway, but many years ago i asked a client if they cooked etc etc, and client replied emphatically he did etc etc. So asked client what did they cook and they replied salads.