Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Successful revision of UC - payment of arrears??

Chris Jones
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advice Team, Network Homes, London

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hi

Just thought I’d share this one because it has sort of enraged me. UC claim made in early July, knocked back on right to reside. We have successfully had this overturned after an initial negative MRN (sent to appeal but never reached a hearing following this revision). We made a new claim which was recently approved leading to the old decision being revised - happy days.

Anyway, claimant has no money since July. HB, CTC all stopped of course.

The decision letter (yep they did send me a letter which I was quite surprised at) says

‘Unfortunately, due to backlogs of work, it may take some time for the arrears to be paid’.

What are we talking here, days, weeks, months? This has properly got me ranting in the office this afternoon - the sheer ignorance of this claimant’s plight and situation - no money since July for children, housing or anything else. Now we have a seemingly endless wait for arrears.

Maybe someone can ease my concerns here by telling me theirs was sorted pretty quickly?

Thanks

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Its normally about a month between the revised decision being issued and payment of arrears in my experience.

Chris Jones
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advice Team, Network Homes, London

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Thanks. That length of time is also unacceptable. With this apparent backlog maybe it’ll be longer.

The original decision was poor to say the least too.

Think I’ll try and highlight this one to local MP