to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

pip over 65 or pension age

LJF
forum member

Benefits caseworker - Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 143

I have just learned today that people can claim PIP when they up to 65 or up to pension age - whichever is higher. news to me. when did this sneak in?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

LJF - 05 November 2018 02:54 PM

I have just learned today that people can claim PIP when they up to 65 or up to pension age - whichever is higher. news to me. when did this sneak in?

It’s always been there - in section 83 of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/5/section/83

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Don’t forget the upper age limit continues to rise as well, so it is 65 years and 3 months with effect from 6 March 2019.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Does legislation contain anything that raises the qualifying age for Attendance Allowance? If not we’ll end up with an overlap when a claimant could choose which to claim.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Ianb - 05 November 2018 08:25 PM

Does legislation contain anything that raises the qualifying age for Attendance Allowance? If not we’ll end up with an overlap when a claimant could choose which to claim.

Yes it does.

There’s been an amendment to section 64(1) of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 (which contains the basic rules of entitlement for AA), both of the qualifying ages for PIP and AA are now linked to state pension age, which is now referred to as ‘pensionable age’ rather than ‘age 65’.

Attendance allowance

64.—(1) A person shall be entitled to an attendance allowance if he has attained pensionable age….

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Thanks Paul. Thought that logically that must be the case but didn’t know where to look.

Pension age starts to rise from 6th December 2018 so it appears that for anyone who has just turned 65 after then we are going to need to check the pension age timetable to find out whether they are eligible for PIP or AA.

Relevant timetable is at bottom of page 2 of this https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310231/spa-timetable.pdf

[ Edited: 7 Nov 2018 at 08:51 am by Ianb ]