to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Emailing a complaint to DWP

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I’ve had a lot of success with cases being dealt with within a few weeks once I have raised a complaint through the correspondence email address. However, as we are now compliant with GDPR, we require any information that is sent with personal details to be encrypted. Unfortunately, this is rejected by the DWP as they cannot access the server holding the encrypted email. I’ve also tried sending it password-protected but that doesn’t get through the GSI as it can’t be scanned. Does anyone have a way of raising a complaint with them via email without sending personal details?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Phil R - 05 October 2018 08:58 AM

I’ve had a lot of success with cases being dealt with within a few weeks once I have raised a complaint through the correspondence email address. However, as we are now compliant with GDPR, we require any information that is sent with personal details to be encrypted. Unfortunately, this is rejected by the DWP as they cannot access the server holding the encrypted email. I’ve also tried sending it password-protected but that doesn’t get through the GSI as it can’t be scanned. Does anyone have a way of raising a complaint with them via email without sending personal details?

DWP?  encrypted?

i guess you could send a generic complaint on the lack of encryption ......

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

I’ve emailed them but won’t hold my breath for a response.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

trouble with encryption is that the people at either end have to have the same software.  some makes it easy to sort when you’re the recipient; some doesnt.

NHS Resolution (the lawyers that deal with nhs clin neg claims for them) make it very easy - to receive one of theirs.  don’t think it works the other way though.

may people are now using egress, which is easy to install if your IT will let you but only works with other egress enabled firms….

it’s gonna be a pain…..

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3133

Where has this idea come from that GDPR requires you to use secure email? How many of your clients have secure email addresses and do you just refuse to contact them by email?

Surely the answer is just to use regular email but ensure that you are sensible about it and that the information you send is proportionate to the nature of the enquiry. Emailing the DWP with “Mr Smith of 123 Blank Street has not had a response to his mandatory reconsideration yet and we were wondering if you could look into it” is not the sort of thing which requires secure email. If you are going to be sending massive amounts of medical records or other private material around, then that’s a different matter.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Company policy means that anything we send via email containing 2 pieces of information such as a name and date of birth, must be encrypted. Without at least a name & NINO, the DWP wouldn’t act on it. I also generally include all previous correspondence with JCP/TPS etc. What we use at the moment allows the recipient to access and download the email via a one-off code but DWP can’t do this as the email is held outside of the GSI.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Phil R - 08 October 2018 10:29 AM

Company policy means that anything we send via email containing 2 pieces of information such as a name and date of birth, must be encrypted. Without at least a name & NINO, the DWP wouldn’t act on it. I also generally include all previous correspondence with JCP/TPS etc. What we use at the moment allows the recipient to access and download the email via a one-off code but DWP can’t do this as the email is held outside of the GSI.

see https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/13231/
We had the same issue particularly with HMCTS - they simply refused to accept encrypted emails. Their data protection team eventually advised that the could see no reason why it was necessary for to send encrypted emails even though they would include personal data (inc medical evidence etc).

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 08 October 2018 04:45 PM

see https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/13231/
We had the same issue particularly with HMCTS - they simply refused to accept encrypted emails. Their data protection team eventually advised that the could see no reason why it was necessary for to send encrypted emails even though they would include personal data (inc medical evidence etc).

Thanks Peter. I think having signed authority from the client may help.