Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Council Tax single person’s discount and proving entitlement

AngelaM
forum member

Staying First, Shepherds Bush Housing Group

Send message

Total Posts: 13

Hiya

I just had a query about one of my cases.

I’m assisting my client to get a single person’s discount on her Council Tax. We put in an application but they said they had her adult daughter listed at the property, so asked for the date that the daughter moved out and for her forwarding address.

My client couldn’t give an exact date her daughter moved out but it was years ago. She did provide the address her daughter moved into. The council then came back and said they checked their records on the address she gave and said that they have other people listed at that address. They have asked her to confirm that the address she has given is correct and if so, to give details of her daughter’s residential status such as whether she is a tenant or lodger. They said they cannot proceed without this information.

I know the council do have to verify that my client is indeed the only adult in the property, but what do you think about the level of information they are requesting. They’re asking for information on someone who is not making the application. How does this fit in with GPDR, or is what they asking for reasonable?