× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Staffordshire University – Social Welfare Law, Policy and Advice Practice

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Do you work or hope to work in the Advice Sector? Want to take your skills and understanding further with an industry-recognised qualification?

Staffordshire University has an established reputation as a leading provider of advice related courses. Our unique BA (Hons) in Social Welfare Law, Policy and Advice Practice Masters in Social Welfare Law, Policy and Advice Practice have been designed with professionals from the advice sector and are delivered by experienced, research active staff. Our graduates tell us that they have significantly developed their knowledge, skills and confidence while enhancing employment and career prospects.

Both our undergraduate and postgraduate degrees are delivered in a flexible way to fit around your work and personal life meaning you can study as a campus or distance learner and on a full or part-time basis. Studying with Staffordshire University gives you 24/7 access to a wide range of online resources including e-books and e-journals with support from the dedicated teaching team.

Course Features

You will study a combination of modules to develop your knowledge (including Legal Theory, Welfare Benefits, Money Advice, Housing Rights), skills (including communication skills and reflective practice) and research (including completion of a dissertation on a specific area of your interest/expertise).

The undergraduate degree is accredited by the Chartered institute of Housing which gives all students free CIH student membership and access to a wide range of CIH resources.

Further details

For further details please email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or call: 01782 295965

To apply for the BA (Hons) Social Welfare Law, Policy and Advice Practice visit:  staffs.ac.uk/course/social-welfare-law-policy-advice-practice-ba

To apply for the Masters in Social Welfare Law, Policy and Advice Practice visit: 
staffs.ac.uk/course/SSTK-09498.jsp

Social Welfare Law recruitment event

Why not come and see us in Stoke on Thursday 02 August (10am to 8pm). Drop-in, speak to one of the team and you could walk away with a place on the degree from September 2018!

Contact Richard Machin for more details.

[ Edited: 3 Sep 2018 at 11:10 am by shawn mach ]
past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1116

An ‘industry-recognised’ qualification which virtually no-one working in it has, lol.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Joanna - 30 August 2018 07:29 PM

I do. It is a good, well rounded course, which has been available for over 10 years. There was 15 people in my cohort 9 years ago.
You can’t beat learning on the job in our sector but this course is an excellent grounding.

Well said.

It’s not easy being cynical and pessimistic it takes time, it comes after incredibly hard work and scarring experiences.

It’s much better to be hopeful.

The course is there to help students and in turn the people they come into contact with.

Whilst I don’t have the benefit of a degree level education myself I fully support the people delivering the course without question.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1004

I remember in the 1990’s there were courses (non degree) taught by Southbank University (think that was post graduate certificate level), the old East and North London Poly sites near Aldgate and on the Holloway Road.

I think the University of North London in those days did a MA.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

In the late 90’s and early 2000’s, University of Leicester also ran a distance learning course leading to an LLM/MA in Social Welfare Law .    At least three of the students on the course became full time Judges of First Tier Tribunals, and one of the tutors became an Upper Tribunal Judge.