to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA short review period

Firebird
forum member

Manchester MIND Advice Team

Send message

Total Posts: 6

I have a client who was required to go through another reassessment of her ESA claim barely a year after the previous one. She has severe and enduring social phobia and agorophobia. Her GP has written a letter to explain how the regularity of these reviews is making her mental health worse.
She attended a special school for children with emotional/behavioural difficulties. She is now in her 50s and has never been able to work due to the severity of her symptoms.
I realise it’s probably a hiding to nothing trying to challenge it with the DWP, as even Tribunal recommendations get ignored - but I was just wondering if anyone out there had had any success with this type of case?

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

I had a client with Anxiety who got a 3 month review period. She got the award letter then the next ESA50 about 2 weeks later. Great for her anxiety! Thankfully she is now on an 18 months after her therapist wrote a letter which mentioned that the frequent reviews (she also had a 6 month one) were having a very detrimental effect on their work and her recovery. Not sure if this is what swung it but can’t have hurt.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

In light of the GP letter, I’d recommend making a complaint and asking for an explanation of why another referral for WCA has been made so quickly.

Firebird
forum member

Manchester MIND Advice Team

Send message

Total Posts: 6

So it’s worth a try then.
If the DWP ignore the letter I have written enclosing GP evidence, I may escalate to a formal complaint.
There doesn’t seem to be any consistency in setting the review period [as with most DWP decisions] - as I’ve had clients less severely affected who have been given longer review periods.