Search rightsnet
Search options







Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Full service housing costs or new style JSA?


forum member

Generalist Team, Hammersmith & Fulham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 70

Joined: 8 July 2010

I have a client who lives in a mortgaged property.

She has recently stopped work and will be entitled to new-style JSA. No children. We’re in a FS area.

Can she just apply for new-style JSA and JSA3 after 6 months or does she need to claim UC?

I note on the SMI website: You will not be treated as getting Universal Credit if you cannot get it because your income is too high. If her UC is not paid because she has ‘no entitlement’ because she’s getting new-style JSA - how does this work?

Thoughts gratefully received.


forum member

Information and Advice Resources, Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 1588

Joined: 7 January 2016

I think that you’re correct that after serving the waiting period, she can apply for the SMI loan payments and carry on with new style JSA claim. The “treated as entitled to” provisions that were inserted into the regs are only for legacy benefits and PC.