Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit  →  Thread

IB JSA claimants being told by Jobcentre workers that blocks of claimants have to move to UC

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 171

We’ve just seen a client who is being pressured to close her IB JSA claim by workers she named at Bridport Job centre.

She was told that they are moving ‘blocks of claimants’ to UC, and everyone has to claim UC.

Client has very limited computer skills, presented as being vulnerable and very distressed by being pressured to claim UC. 

See attached drawn up by someone at the Jobcentre and given to her i.e. close JSA claim, claim UC and reference to an advance payment.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 352

She should refuse to claim UC, as without a change of circs, there is no reason UC should be triggered. In addition I would raise a complaint with local partnership managers about mis-advice.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 171

Benny Fitzpatrick - 17 May 2018 10:24 AM

She should refuse to claim UC, as without a change of circs, there is no reason UC should be triggered. In addition I would raise a complaint with local partnership managers about mis-advice.

We have advised that, and we have contacted the local Partnership manager, sent him the link below and cited the extracts below, and the attached DWP guidance re ESA/JSA claims both of which i’ve posted on Rightsnet before. Thought they may be of interest and could be shared locally within the DWP.

Actually I posted this scenario, and similar in part as further confirmation of well documented systemic problems, but also as examples of the culture apparent within the jobcentres that is struggling to (embrace and) adapt to the changes/challenges of both UC and parallel benefit systems.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/740/74007.htm

‘The IPA found a high level of uncertainty about the proportion of UC claimants who could be considered vulnerable, noting that estimates ranged from 25% to 50%. Given the resources required to support vulnerable claimants, if levels were towards the top end of that scale the medium-term sustainability of UC would be threatened’.

33.‘The IPA’s call for the “industrialisation” of UC for complex cases and vulnerable customers is an unfortunate choice of phrase. In those stark terms, however, it epitomises the challenges facing the UC programme. To make its promised efficiency gains, it must become a far more automated system. Key areas such as identity verification, however, are currently manual processes for a large proportion of claimants. Delays to the rollout and automation of the digital service reduce projected efficiency savings. In seeking to maximise savings, however, the Department must monitor closely any potential adverse effects on claimants and factor those into its decision making’.

File Attachments