× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Thank goodness for social media

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

Blog from DWP Digital ... includes story of how their use of twitter saved a claimant a 16 mile round trip on foot to the jobcentre -

The recent snowy weather really affected some of our sites and our ability to help and serve our customers. There are a number of rural communities in the area, which saw heavy levels of snowfall. From a social media perspective, what was particularly interesting was seeing the increased activity on our social media channels during this time. Customers were using these new services to get answers to queries, help and advice, just as they would normally use a regular channel like phoning or writing to us.

Our first DM arrived at 6:30am with: “I’m walking in from Brixton to Plymouth today for an appointment at 11am. Are you open for business?” As Brixton village to Plymouth is about a 16 mile round trip (nearly 2 hours each way on foot), we were able to quickly respond the latest position and advise that the local Plymouth office was closed due to the snow.

https://dwpdigital.blog.gov.uk/2018/04/11/using-social-media-to-communicate-with-customers-whatever-the-weather/

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

I feel like there’s an angle to this which has somehow slipped the author by…

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Elliot Kent - 20 April 2018 03:46 PM

I feel like there’s an angle to this which has somehow slipped the author by…

indeed - probably the follow up sanction to the pedestrian who knew he’d get sanctioned for not turning up….

how depressing is it that we should think that?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

So, has anyone found any of the tweets in question? It says they’re a mix of DMs and mentions. The former would not be public. The latter would be unless the claimants account is a private one, which could be the case but is generally unlikely. It strikes me that few claimants would ever DM an organisation. It’s generally the other way around. You tweet an organisation; they follow you and ask you to DM asap in order to get any unfortunate discussions out of the public domain asap. A job for the Disability New Service perhaps?

One suspects this will turn out like “thank you for sanctioning me” cards.

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

Well, credit where credit is due.  I’m impressed that someone was available to answer the tweet before 9 am so the poor claimant didn’t have to set out.