Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PAPER BASED ASSESSMENT PIP

National Debtline
forum member

Information department - National Debtline, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Hi Members,

I have a client who suffers from Narcolepsy, Cataplexy and Frontal Lobe epilepsy amongst other health issues.

He missed his first PIP assessment as believe it or not he managed to sleep through the day! He also has a head injury due to cataplexy and a ‘drop out’ attack.

We have now requested a paper based assessment and submitted a Doctors letter and a covering letter from Narcolepsy UK outlining the impact a face to face assessment will have on this particular client.

is there anything else we can do as we have not had a response?

Thank you in advance.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

National Debtline - 12 April 2018 12:56 PM

Hi Members,

I have a client who suffers from Narcolepsy, Cataplexy and Frontal Lobe epilepsy amongst other health issues.

He missed his first PIP assessment as believe it or not he managed to sleep through the day! He also has a head injury due to cataplexy and a ‘drop out’ attack.

We have now requested a paper based assessment and submitted a Doctors letter and a covering letter from Narcolepsy UK outlining the impact a face to face assessment will have on this particular client.

is there anything else we can do as we have not had a response?

Thank you in advance.

Just a thought, but did you ask for a Paper-based review via the DWP or Atos or Capita (depending which contractor it is).

I only ask because requests for paper-based reviews work best if it is direct to the contractor’s customer services. We are in ATOS land. See their customer services email below - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Its also worth arguing based on the evidence what activities/descriptors and points etc and components etc arguably apply to your client. E.G. based on the evidence Blah blah has an arguable case for the Standard rate of the Daily Living component on the basis of scoring such and such points for such and such descriptors etc etc, we would refer you to such and such’s evidence which etc etc.

Hope this helps!

National Debtline
forum member

Information department - National Debtline, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Thanks for your reply,

We requested it via DWP who have passed it on to Capita who are making a decision?

I was wondering statistically what the likelihood will be our client is becoming very distressed.

Thank you again!!

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

I would still be very very tempted to contact Capita customer services direct, because there is no guarantee the DWP will have passed it on to the appropriate people in Capita.

If they work on the same basis as ATOS, they will from experience pass it to a Doctor based in your regional office e.g. our medical services are in Bristol, and the quality of advice to the DWP, is better than the ad hoc local venues, we are all familiar with.

Geri-G
forum member

Welfare reform team - North Ayrshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 91

I would agree-speak to ATOS/Capita and ask for a PBA. I argued with them to do one (client was an in patient under Psychiatric care), and advised them that we knew client wouldn’t get paid whilst in, however what additional evidence did they need of MH? The Carers detail has been put down and I suggested that they could phone the carer for additional evidence (which they did), and ERC and SRMA was awarded.

The only final kerfuffle was getting the dates they were out in pass paid, but that is another story.