to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

When are PA3 forms completed?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Does anyone know under what circumstances PA3 forms are completed in the assessment process? Is it just when the Assessment Provider is obtaining FME or are they done routinely?

I have one in the tribunal bundle I am currently looking at but can only think of one occasion where I have ever seen one submitted in the appeal papers before.

I would like to get hold of them more often as I think that they can be quite helpful to the claimant.

Geri-G
forum member

Welfare reform team - North Ayrshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 91

The PA3 forms are done after the assessment and sent to the DWP decision maker for them to make the decisions. I routinely ask the client to tel PIP and ask for a copy at MR stage. Might have to submit a late MR, but I have been advised that if we or client asks for the PA3 form, they will accept it.

This is the main piece of evidence that the DM/tribunals focus on when making a decision so the earlier we can get it, the better!

The MR may not always win, and you still might have to go to appeal, however half the work will be done!

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Geri, I think that you are thinking of the PA4 forms… PA3s seem to be completed before the assessment and basically summarise what the client has said on the PIP2, comment on its consistency with the stated conditions and ‘award’ indicative/virtual points.

[ Edited: 10 Apr 2018 at 09:42 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
Geri-G
forum member

Send message

Apologies you are correct. PA4 forms are done at a F2F assessment.The PA3 forms are when a paper based assessment is done. When it comes through the ATOS/Capita queue, they see whether a Paper based assessment can be done with the information that is there, and sometimes they can get additional evidence by phoning their Doctors/Health care providers CPN’s etc. Then a PA3 is completed.It isn’t done if they have to go for a F2F due to not enough information/whatever. PA4’s are only done at an assessment centre. (I have a “source” who works for ATOS).

In appeal bundle, you will know by the form whether they hit the assessment centre or not.
Hope that helps

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks Geri-G.

In this case they completed a PA3 and wrote to the GP for FME but the GP didn’t bother replying so it went on to a face to face. The interesting thing is that the PA3 says that all the difficulties that she states on her PIP2 are consistent with her medical conditions and ‘awards’ her enough virtual points for ERDL/SRM. But following the face to face the PA4 decides that as she walked 5m into the assessment room without having a heart attack and blathering incoherently, etc., she is actually fine and has no medical conditions that would cause the functional restrictions claimed…

Geri-G
forum member

Send message

Normal for them *rolls eyes*. As we know some GP’s are quite cooperative, however if they don’t send the stuff back, apparently ATOS etc, have only so long that they can wait for FME before they are told to send to assessment centre.

I often stick down a carer/ spouse/family member (with clients permission), as they know the day to day life of the client. If that person is not phoned or contacted, I use that in my appeal submission and state, they didn’t try to get further information.