to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Toilet Needs & Prompting to take Medication Query

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team - Phoenix & Norcas

Send message

Total Posts: 279

Been out of the loop for some time due to ill health but would appreciate anyone’s input on the following 2 questions….

i) With regards PIP Descriptor 5C

toilet needs” means – 
(a)getting on and off an unadapted toilet;
(b)evacuating the bladder and bowel; and
(c)cleaning oneself afterwards; and

Can the claimant get awarded 2 points for satisfying point (a) only,(B) only, (C) only or does it have to be (A) and (B) together or (B) and (C) together or all 3 at once.

This is due to a client who is physically ok but has a fear of evacuation of bladder and bowel, so would satisfying (b) on it’s own suffice for the 2 points!

ii) I recollect there may be some case law or amendment regs on this but again can a client who needs prompting every day to ‘take medication’ (NOT THERAPY) score 2 points from Descriptor 3C.

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Disability Rights Handbook (page 38) states that you only need to have problems with one of these definitions to have toilet needs and quotes CPIP/1787/2015.

Again DRH (page 37) states that ‘therapy’ does not include taking, applying or receiving medication.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

PIP info is a good place to read and research the collected case law on these kind of issues J.McKendrick.

Daily living - Activity 5: Managing toilet needs or incontinence

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Send message

Many thanks Mick for your helpful reply especially regards the ‘toilet’ descriptor.

However regards the medication query, even when taking into account The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) (Amendment) Regulations 2017 and associated case law, in your opinion can the client still be awarded 2 points for needing prompting to take medication only under 3.5 hours per week. The case law goes on about ‘therapy’ a great deal but I’m still confused.

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

I think that prior to the amendment 2017 No 194 which came into force on 16/3/17 there was no hard line dividing medication and therapy.  From 16/3/17 the explanatory note states that the amendment amends the definition of “therapy” to make it clear that this does not include receiving or administering medication by any means, or any action which (in the case of the particular claimant being assessed) falls within the definition of “monitor a health condition”.

J.Mckendrick
forum member

Send message

Again many thanks.