to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

The law we used to make this decision

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

In a relatively straightforward EEA right to reside case…

I remain to be convinced that the Act of Union was relevant to the determination of whether my client had a right to reside.

File Attachments

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Fabulous!

ARTICLE I.

The Kingdoms United; ????Ensigns Armorial
That the two Kingdoms of England and Scotland shall upon the First day of May which shall be in the year One thousand seven hundred and seven and for ever after be united into one Kingdom by the name of Great Britain And that the Ensigns Armorial of the said United Kingdom be such as Her Majesty shall appoint and the Crosses of St. George and St. Andrew be conjoyned in such manner as Her Majesty shall think fit and used in all Flags Banners Standards and Ensigns both at Sea and Land.

[ Edited: 19 Mar 2018 at 05:32 pm by nevip ]
NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

Elliot Kent - 19 March 2018 05:19 PM

In a relatively straightforward EEA right to reside case…

I remain to be convinced that the Act of Union was relevant to the determination of whether my client had a right to reside.

:-)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

As a point of principle (or possibly solely for our entertainment) I think you should appeal on a very specific point of law 😊

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

To be fair, perhaps they have had a flurry of cranks/timewasters arguing that the Welfare Reform Act 2012 is invalid because of some technicality in the union between England and Scotland.  I had someone who used to email me a lot insisting that the European Communities Act 1972 prevents any secondary legislation on any subject from having effect. Perhaps DWP has decided to head off an anticipated misconceived argument by the claimant?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

If that were the case they would surely address it head on in a submission (he says with blinkered optimisim!)?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

The Act of Union is relevant because it defines what “Great Britain” is. Other legislation refers to Great Britain.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

HB Anorak - 20 March 2018 08:56 AM

To be fair, perhaps they have had a flurry of cranks/timewasters arguing that the Welfare Reform Act 2012 is invalid because of some technicality in the union between England and Scotland.  I had someone who used to email me a lot insisting that the European Communities Act 1972 prevents any secondary legislation on any subject from having effect. Perhaps DWP has decided to head off an anticipated misconceived argument by the claimant?

This is credible; they certainly wouldn’t be arguing that Magna Carta stumps the Welfare Reform Acts. They wouldn’t get paid if they did…

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

I wonder if the decision maker had ever read (and understood) the legislation & case law quoted (or whoever drafted the list in the first place to ‘cut & paste’). It would made for an interesting hearing if a tribunal asked a PO to explain their relevance!

I thought Great Britain included Wales? But as I haven’t read all of the legislation etc either perhaps I missed that bit of history / legislation! Or maybe Wales has no role in undermining the Welfare Reform Act (Mike / Gareth?)