to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Income support and carer’s allowance

Ericonabike
forum member

CAB Leicester

Send message

Total Posts: 14

First post, so please be gentle! Years back I worked in DSS then appeals service. Now a part time adviser at CAB.
A recent client, single woman aged 58, came in as she was being bounced between JSA and ESA. Not sick enough for one,  or well enough for the other. Currently on JSA, despite poor health and never having worked.
She revealed she has 30 year old son, severe learning difficulties, receiving PIP. She knew about CA, but didn’t think she satisfied 35 hour rule. Confirmed she did, and that claiming CA would give title to IS, plus carer premium and no need to look for work. She is coming back on   Tuesday to sort out claims.
As she is already on JSA, can she simply tell Job Centre she is claiming CA and ask to be transferred to IS? Is it worth asking for the three month backdating of CA? Are there any other issues to consider? All comments welcomed..

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 65

Dear Ericonabike,

Welcome to a weird and wacky world.

I would expect that your client will have to pursue a telephone claim to IS and withdraw her JSA claim. Jobcentre Plus do not allow 2 means-tested benefit claims at the same time.  The 3-months backdating application for Carers Allowance is applicable, as an award can justify a backdated review of the JSA (or ESA) award for a Carers Premium. Lots of delays likely in obtaining the money.

You did not say if her son lives with your client or in another environment e.g. with another relative or in care but you have to be careful that a claim for Carers Allowance for the mother does not result in the termination of a severe disability premium in the son’s means-tested benefit.

I am sure other advisers will also chip in with helpful suggestions.

Good Luck

Chris

Ericonabike
forum member

CAB Leicester

Send message

Thanks for that. Son lives with her, will check rate of SDP. To be honest, as long as they’re not significantly worse off, the relief of not having to look for work/prove she’s incapable would be worth the change.

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 65

Dear Ericonabike,

If the son lives with her, there is unlikely to be any issues about a severe disability premium, so no worries. Mother may also want to investigate her own PIP entitlement.

Cheers

Chris

Ericonabike
forum member

CAB Leicester

Send message

Update - saw client today, completed CA and IS claims. Asked for backdating on both. Also found out son’s ESA has been stopped, despite getting PIP for both living and mobility needs. They are appealing.

As an aside, I can’t believe how harsh the benefits system is now. I thought it was bad I the Thatcher years, but that now seems like a golden age in comparison.