to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

DWP Data Protection

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

I may just have been having that sort of day yesterday, but twice I encountered the DWP Data Protection Office responding to simple requests for information, where they never previously would have got involved (a copy of a previous WCA, for example).

Does this mean we will be needing to complete their own subject access request form in the future?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information

Any other experience?

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

ROBBO - 19 December 2017 09:22 AM

I may just have been having that sort of day yesterday, but twice I encountered the DWP Data Protection Office responding to simple requests for information, where they never previously would have got involved (a copy of a previous WCA, for example).

Does this mean we will be needing to complete their own subject access request form in the future?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information

Any other experience?

Don’t actually know the answer to your question definitively.

But have found SAR route easier to obtain information e.g. ESA 85’s etc, gave up alternatives, other than interlocutory applications, for reasons that are to all familiar e.g. inaction etc etc.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Dangerous road to go down. People on fixed incomes should not have to pay for their own data.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Mike Hughes - 20 December 2017 04:10 PM

Dangerous road to go down. People on fixed incomes should not have to pay for their own data.

For the stuff above they don’t pay anything.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

They won’t even have to pay for medical records from next May once GDPR comes in to force. Might make most peoples’ jobs a wee bit easier.

I’m not surprised we’re seeing more involvement of data protection officers in the warm up to GDPR; they will have a statutory role next year and we’ll inevitably see a lot more of them.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 20 December 2017 05:46 PM

For the stuff above they don’t pay anything.

quite.

i regularly have to complete the DWP’s SAR form for clients; no charge.  just as well.