to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

difference between live and full service area UC

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Sorry to sound so think, but I have drawn a blank when asked what the difference is between live and full service UC.

I didn’t want to make a reasonable explanation based on opinion, so people, could you help me - what is the difference?!?

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

“Live” was the original UC service (I think it was “live” as opposed to a practice/training version that was available at one stage). It ensures that UC is available “in every jobcentre in the country…” but only for new claims before the end of this month, and only for claimants with simple circs who pass the gateway conditions (single jobseekers etc).

“Full” aka digital UC is, according to some accounts, the version they built when they realised the “live” computer system wasn’t up to scratch. It is available in limited areas, in which it can take claims from most claimants, the main exception being those with 3+ children.

Anyone on “live” can expect to be asked by JCP to transfer to digital at some point, and “live” will presumably eventually wither away. I think transferring to full UC effectively means registering a new UC claim, as the two systems don’t communicate with each other - e.g. they have different helplines, so you need to ring the right one in order to speak to someone who can view your claim details.

[ Edited: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:03 pm by Jon (CANY) ]