Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

New claims for universal credit in live service areas will cease at the end of December 2017

1 2 > 

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

So as per https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/new-claims-for-universal-credit-live-service-will-cease-at-the-end-of-decem  no new claims for UC from 1.1.18 until your area goes on to Full Service?

I can understand the logic but this is going to cause a lot of confusion I imagine. Our date has been put back to July 2018 so for 6 months from 1.1.18 - July it will be like UC doesn’t exist (except for those already on it)?

Surprised there isn’t already discussions about this here so wondering if I am missing something…..

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

Gosh!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

JoW - 27 November 2017 11:40 AM

Surprised there isn’t already discussions about this here so wondering if I am missing something…..

Yes, I thought it might have caused more of a stir too ..... isn’t it about two-thirds of job centres that are currently outside full service? ..... so, suddenly, in c.400 jobcentres you won’t be able to make a new claim for UC!

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

shawn - 27 November 2017 11:58 AM
JoW - 27 November 2017 11:40 AM

Yes, I thought it might have caused more of a stir too ..... isn’t it about two-thirds of job centres that are currently outside full service? ..... so, suddenly, in c.400 jobcentres you won’t be able to make a new claim for UC!

I make it about 35% of GB postcodes will be full service by the start of January 2018 - that’s not going to change much for a while given the greatly decelerated roll out now planned for the spring.

DWRS
forum member

Durham County Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 73

I too can understand the logic however in our area its going to cause total confusion. We already have 2 JCP arears at UCFS stage with another 4 due on 13 December. The remaining 4 has now been delayed from March 18 to June 18

Clear as mud for advisers and claimants!

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Agreed - incredibly confusing.

I’m hoping that the modification of commencement orders which must be needed to achieve this will be published soon?

We need specific dates. I think the letter still isn’t exactly clear (we are assuming he means December 17, but he doesn’t actually say so - that it is this December is read in).

They would also have to change quite a few gov.uk pages to give correct info on claiming not just UC but of course ‘new style’ cont ESA….

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

WillH - 27 November 2017 01:19 PM

We need specific dates. I think the letter still isn’t exactly clear (we are assuming he means December 17, but he doesn’t actually say so - that it is this December is read in).

We understand that it’s 31 December 2017 ...

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Send message

I’m hoping that the modification of commencement orders which must be needed to achieve this will be published soon?

They would also have to change quite a few gov.uk pages to give correct info on claiming not just UC but of course ‘new style’ cont ESA….

I guess the SoS could make a determination under reg 4 of the UC(TP) regs so they might not need any further regulations.  It is a pity that Mr C couldn’t be bothered to spell it out but end of Dec 17 is the only reading that makes sense to me.

You’re right - UC is being unexpectedly withdrawn from 2/3s of GB with just 5 weeks notice -  loads of .gov will need to be rewritten - and lots of other organizations’ and local material will need updating too. (More roll-back than roll-out.)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

An award winning roll back no less.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

shawn - 27 November 2017 01:24 PM

We understand that it’s 31 December 2017 ...

Yes - operational stakeholders have confirmed to us that it’s 31 December 2017 that live service closes to new claims

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Do we know the position of people who previously received live service UC and are within 6 months of entitlement ending due to earnings?  And are in the newly opened window where neither live nor full UC can be claimed in their postcode?

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Send message

SarahJBatty - 04 December 2017 07:32 PM

Do we know the position of people who previously received live service UC and are within 6 months of entitlement ending due to earnings?  And are in the newly opened window where neither live nor full UC can be claimed in their postcode?

If there’s no change then Reg 6 of the UC, etc (Claims and Payments) regs [SI 2013/380 ] (which is saved in the live-service areas only) would continue to apply - when UC entitlement ends just because of earnings then no claim is required where earnings fall again within six months.  So I think the answer is they would return to live-service UC since no (new) UC claim would be required. 

I don’t know if DWP plan to amend this part of the regs but I think it’s quite likely that they will given the apparent fragility of the live-service IT.

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Yes of course,  not a new claim.  Thanks Jon.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Send message

Jon Blackwell - 27 November 2017 01:39 PM

I guess the SoS could make a determination under reg 4 of the UC(TP) regs so they might not need any further regulations. ....

It’s now confirmed the SoS is closing new claims to Live Service via a reg 4 determination.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/welfare-reform-act-2012-regulations/welfare-reform-act-2012-regulations

(The determination also puts back the ‘Grenfell’  postcode full service start dates to 12 Dec 2018.)

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

I’m puzzled by:
“5. Where a claimant terminates their Universal Credit live service claim by choice they will be able to make a new claim to HB straight away.
Claimants in full service areas will not be allowed to terminate their claim and make a claim for HB. “

Where’s the legislative basis for the differentiation?  I can see the abolition of HB for them but I’m not clear why they can’t end a claim.