to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

UC Claimant commitment person aged 60

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

Good afternoon, we are still a live service area so this is the first person I have come across over 60 and claiming UC. The claimant commitment says they are available for 48 hours of work each week with a 90 minute travel limit. The work coach used no discretion when they were advised of health issues so we have that to deal with but was wondering if folks with more experience whether age should also be a consideration as in the good old days a person over 60 would only have to work 16 hours + for WTC. Any info gratefully received.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Was very surprised to discover at CPAG seminar on UC conditionality and sanctions that the work coach guidance does not have age as one of the circumstances highlighted for using discretion around work search requirements (unlike disability and caring for example).

As such, it’s for each individual to try and negotiate with the work coach on their particular situation. I have raised this with DWP as a live issue but not entirely confident it’s going to have any great impact in the near future.

ADM Chapter J2: Work-related groups

WROTricia
forum member

Send message

Thank you very much for that reply, disappointing though it is.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

WROTricia - 21 November 2017 04:13 PM

available for 48 hours of work each week with a 90 minute travel limit.

Where does that come from?  I assume 35 hours plus travel but, at 3 hours a day, that comes to 50 for a five day week.

WROTricia
forum member

Send message

That’s exactly as it is written on her claimant commitment, I am disputing that as well.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

CPAGs ‘UC - What you need to know’  (p.76 of the 4th edition) says that “you may be required to be available for work of up to 48 hours a week”. Author is Daphne…

I was a bit puzzled by that and had a hunt around online; it seems to refer to the Working Time Directive. But I can’t see how they can force anyone to work more than 35 hours p/w as that would end conditionality wouldn’t it? Maybe referring to applying for jobs that are advertised as 48 hours p/w?

[ Edited: 24 Nov 2017 at 03:10 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Yes, I don’t think you could necessarily avoid sanction by saying “I didn’t apply for any jobs this week, they were all advertised for 40+ hours, but I’m only willing to work 35 ..”.

With 90 minutes unpaid travel time each way, the default commitment could therefore be up to 63 hours in total, without breaching the WT directive. Though once you’re in employment there should be no UC commitment arising from reducing your paid hours to 35xNMW.