Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

CB ESA, 365 day rule and waiting for assessment

LauraE
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team, Bassetlaw Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hi there,

I have a client who is on CB ESA since 01/01/17 assessment phase. He is about to undergo his face-to-face assessment this week. I am hoping they will make a decision to put him in the SG before the end of the year as this would safeguard his award for the future. He has would not qualify for any IR ESA if this CB claim ends.

I am concerned that should he not be put into the SG straight away, what will happen to the claim? His money would stop as of 01/01/18.

If we appealed and the SG was awarded, would his CB ESA be reinstated? This is complicated further by the fact that UC is being fully rolled out in my area as of mid December.

Any light you can shed on what might happen would be really really helpful.

Laura

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

The introduction of full service UC won’t affect the situation as you’re only talking about the contributory benefit.

If he doesn’t get put in the support group and you appeal successfully then yes the cb ESA would be reinstated and backdated.

LauraE
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team, Bassetlaw Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Thank you Daphne. In all the time i’ve been doing this job, i’ve never had it where the assessment has nearly breached the end of the 365 days so was getting nervous.