Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Parliamentary inquiry into ESA and PIP assessments

ZoeHBF
forum member

Welfare and Housing, Helen Bamber Foundation (London)

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any advisers/organisations will be sending submissions for the Committee for Work and Pensions inquiry into the assessment process for ESA and PIP, due to the very high success rate of tribunal appeals? The deadline is this Friday (link re: the inquiry below), and it seems as good opportunity as any to outline the various flaws within these assessment processes.

I’ve concentrated on the ESA assessment process mostly, and have recommended a review to bring the ESA50 into line with the actual statutory tests for ESA, not relying on a ‘snapshot’ of the claimant’s day, a review of the training and experience of contracted assessors, ensuring adequate training for assessors particularly regarding mental health conditions, publishing the DWP’s policy on interpreting (lots of my clients don’t have English as their first language and end up with no interpreter at the assessment). I was wondering if anyone was else was submitting something by this Friday, and if there are any glaringly obvious recommendations I have missed out? 

Thanks!

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/work-and-pensions-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/pip-esa-assessments-17-19/

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Hoping to but it‘s competing with case work with deadlines attached so who knows.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Having a massive mental blank here. Anybody got the email address to which these should be sent?

Thanks in advance.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Mike Hughes - 10 November 2017 02:28 PM

Having a massive mental blank here. Anybody got the email address to which these should be sent?

Thanks in advance.

Submit it to the portal

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/work-and-pensions-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/pip-esa-assessments-17-19/

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

That’s the bit I’m blanking on. Where’s the email address or indeed any address on that page?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Here you go Mike.

Telephone: 020 7219 8976
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Contact us - Work and Pensions Committee

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Thank you. Was that actually on the web page?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

No it wasn’t.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Relieved to hear that. Potentially very important inquiry and I thought I was imagining things when I couldn’t see how to contact them.

Sort of thing they’d be pleased to criticise DWP on.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Too punchy? Usually secures me the invite to speak face to face which some people seem to live in fear of. Had I more time I would have also commented on the need to record assessments; the fact that assessors could easily be prevented from pre-population through being prevented from accessing the blank report until the assessment is noted as started and doubtless much else too. However, it always strikes me that it’s about time we sat in front of politicians and said unequivocally that what is going on is simply not fit for purpose in many respects.

I also think that in some respects, and this is a very difficult area, it is a mistake (and possibly plain wrong) to emphasise repeatedly that the group which suffer the most are those with mental health issues. They tend to get treated as an exception and thus if politicians hear that steps have been taken to deal with that tricky exception then they assume all else is rosy in the garden. I think it’s about time we spelt out that poor processes impact across the board regardless of impairment.

Good to see familiar names as you say. Always wince when I read mine back as the way my eyes work mean it’s completely random as to whether I see typos or not regardless of when I read it. Coming back to it now I am horrified by the errors.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

After 7 statutory Independent Reports and numerous other previous enquiries including by the work & pensions committee and SSAC is there really anything new to say? Do we anticipate this enquiry will make any greater difference than all the other?

[ Edited: 21 Nov 2017 at 01:59 pm by Peter Turville ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

I think it’s about momentum really (not a capital M). More and more pressure being exerted in more and different ways. Change always comes about in the oddest most unexpected ways.

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

The face-to-face evidence given to the Committee is here: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/pip-and-esa-assessments/oral/74498.pdf
There were apparently 450 written submissions and 2,800+ web-forum responses all saying roughly the same things. There are some truly shocking examples in there, for example someone was asked how long they had had Downs Syndrome and how it was caught.
Hopefully the Select Committee read all of them and not just a random selection.
I think the DWP / ATOS etc are due to give their oral evidence on the 6th December.