to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Change of circs in AIP

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Client in AIP, inherited some of former husbands SRP, has generated a large o/p of PC but not been paid corresponding backdated SRP.  Don’t have all details as seeing her in a few weeks but cannot see this is anything other than a change in retirement provision which does not have to be declared and should not affect PC.  Something doesn’t seem right but haven’t seen paperwork yet so hard to see why there is an o/p

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

The original AIP will have ended on her husband’s death.  Was a new AIP set up after that?  If so her benefit should, at that point, have included the new SRP figure surely?  I don’t think this is an AIP issue but rather one about how the new Pension Credit was calculated.  Or were they separated before his death?

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

I think they were separated and she had single claim. her AIP ends soon.

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

State Retirement Pension does not come under the ‘retirement provision’ rules.  My guess is that they have revised her State Retirement Pension based on her late ex-husband’s contribution record from the date of his death which has thrown up an overpayment of Pension Credit.  This overpayment is being offset or recovered by withholding arrears of State Retirement Pension.

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

oops, read CPAG properly next time..assume nothing
They do appear to be recovering an o/p from her current PC and have not offset o/p against arrears of SRP as a backdated lump sum of SRP doesn’t seem to have been paid.  I will know more next week.  At this point I only have overview from outreach worker

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

The reduction in her Pension Credit might just be due to her new higher State Retirement Pension which is presumably now in payment.