to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

When does the waiting period start?

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Ok so I can’t find the answer to this on gov.uk or anywhere else. Does the waiting period begin on the day you make the claim or is it once you have provided the evidence to support your claim? Specifically proof of identity, just trying to work this out for a client who is unable to get an appointment to have proof of identity verified at jobcentre, they’ve tried to upload it but surprisingly they were unable.

Any responses gratefully received.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Amended regs (my emphasis):

Waiting Days

19A. — (1) Entitlement to universal credit does not arise in the first 7 days of the period in respect of which the claim is made if—
(a)  on the first day of that period (“the relevant date”) the claimant, or either of joint claimants, falls within section 22 of the Act (claimants subject to all work-related requirements); and
(b)  none of the exceptions in paragraph (3) applies

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1362/pdfs/uksi_20151362_en.pdf

Leese
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker Manchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Thanks Paul, I should have thought to check the regs the only excuse I have is that it’s Friday afternoon. From reading this and about all the problems with UC claimants waiting 6 weeks for the first payment, the claimant should receive a payment 6 weeks after the claim is made regardless of whether the proof of identity was provided on the day the initial claim was logged or at an appointment at JCP two weeks later. Would you say this interpretation is correct? Or does the 7 day waiting period begin once proof of identity is received?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Leese - 20 October 2017 03:17 PM

the claimant should receive a payment 6 weeks after the claim is made regardless of whether the proof of identity was provided on the day the initial claim was logged or at an appointment at JCP two weeks later. Would you say this interpretation is correct?

I’m pretty sure you’re correct here.