Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Reg 29&35; successful appeals

kd01
forum member

Macmillan Benefits Team, LeicesterShire Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi,

We’re looking for examples of when a person has been found to have LCW & LCWRA based on regulations 29 and 35, in particular upon appealing the decision. We are relying on these regulations for several clients at the moment.

One client in particular was been receiving ESA in SG based on treatment for cancer. She has been in remission since 2013 and has carried out periods of permitted work since then. Upon reassessment, she has been found fit for work and WRA, having scored 0 points. We have gone in to each descriptor with her in great detail and are in agreement that she doesn’t meet the criteria to score any points. However, the client feels that job seeking and working would be detrimental to her health.

Client suffers from back and knee stiffness. She also has weakness in wrist and fingers. She suffers from depression and has been taking Citalopram at 20mg daily for about 1 year. Client is currently actively looking for work and is eager to find a suitable job. However, she feels that she does not have the core strength to be able to work for much more than 16 hours per week. Being rejected for jobs has also impacted on her confidence and self esteem.

In terms of medical evidence, we have one letter from her GP which states:

“As a result of the diagnosis and treatment as well as other significant stressors, she became significantly depressed and physically fatigued. She tried to cope with these symptoms initially but following a series of family bereavements last year, we started her on medication. Although she has been helped a little by this, she remains significantly low in mood and her fatigue is such that she struggles with doing activities at home, without suffering from extreme tiredness.”

We’re not sure on the merit of challenging this decision further based on reg 29 & 35. If anyone is able to share any examples or ideas (or the questions to expect at tribunal), it would be extremely helpful.

Kind Regards

Kate

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

kd01 - 02 October 2017 10:58 AM

However, she feels that she does not have the core strength to be able to work for much more than 16 hours per week. Being rejected for jobs has also impacted on her confidence and self esteem.

If she feels that she can work more than 16 hours p/w the appeal will not succeed. However, if she can only work less than 16 hours p/w then there is a reasonable case (on the face of it) for Reg. 29.

I think that you might struggle with Reg 35 though. What are the risks to her or other people of having to do WRA given that she has done Permitted Work and is looking for part time work now?

The attached, written by Martin at CPAG, is a little old but still a good starting point.

File Attachments

kd01
forum member

Macmillan Benefits Team, LeicesterShire Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Thank you for your reply - that’s really helpful. I agree with all of your points I just wanted to get a second opinion before deciding on how to proceed any further.

To be honest client’s main concern is that every time she is rejected after a job application her confidence is knocked further. However, I suppose that isn’t enough to be classed as a substantial risk to mental health.

Kind Regards

Kate

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Bearing in mind that the risk is “a risk that cannot sensibly be ignored” then if there were a close family history of mental health problems then with all those stressors I’d probably ask a Tribunal to consider reg 29 with a caveat to the client that it was a fishing trip.

If it were simply reactive depression I probably wouldn’t.

[ Edited: 5 Oct 2017 at 10:45 am by Dan_Manville ]
Ros White
forum member

Advice and Rights team, CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Hi All - there’s also a more recent Welfare Rights Bulletin article by Alison Gillies which updates Martin’s article -

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/esa-and-substantial-risk

cheers Ros

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

I often put this in my submissions

“In NS v SSWP (ESA) [2014] UKUT 115 (AAC) reported as [2015] AACR 33.  Judge White reviews the authorities regarding the application of Regulation 29.  I note in particular that Judge White (at paragraph 45) cites LJ v SSWP(IB) [2010] UKUT408 (AAC) where Judge Mark observed

10 Further, the test is not limited to whether there would be a substantial risk to the claimant from any work he may undertake.  The test is as to the risk as a result of being found capable of work.  If he was found capable of work, he would lose his incapacity benefit, and would very possibly need to seek work and apply for jobseeker’s allowance.  That would involve his attending interviews, and going through all the other steps that would be needed to obtain and keep jobseeker’s allowance.  In the present economic climate, a claimant who is 62 years old with mental health problems, and who has not worked since the early 1990’s, is unlikely to find work quickly and would very possibly never find it.  His GP’s assessment that it is inconceivable that he would ever be able to earn his living may be right.  The tribunal would then have to determine how this change from his being in receipt of incapacity benefit would affect the claimant’s mental health, looking not at some work he may do, but at the effect on his mental health of fruitless and repeated interviews and the possibly hopeless pursuit of jobs until he reached retirement age.  These factors were not considered by the tribunal, and indeed they did not elicit the information necessary to enable them to be considered, such as whether he had in fact applied for jobseeker’s allowance and if not, how he was coping or would cope.

Judge White also goes on to say at paragraph 50

50. I would agree with the observation of Judge Ward in RB v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (ESA), which I have quoted in paragraph 35 above, that the more narrowly focused the descriptors become, the more likely it is that the safety net provision of regulation 29(2)(b) will be in issue”

Your client’s mental health might not be a fragile as the appellant in LJ, but Judge Mark did hold that the change from what was then IB to JSA could of itself be very stressful for some claimants and could pose a risk to mental health