to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Viewing the HCP’s report before s/he sends it electronically to DWP

Unite1
forum member

Employment law & benefit appeal rep, the Initiative Factory, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Over the last week I have asked two HCPs to allow me sight of the report. Both refused, I explained that I had scored my client and if there were any areas of dispute, we could discuss. I got the same old drivel, “we don’t make the decision etc.”
I am going to write to ATOS and complain. Also I am going to ask ATOS to confirm that the HCP should let the claimant and her advisor peruse the form.
Has anybody got any other suggestions.
Cheers

TC

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I suspect a rep.; carer; p.a. or advocate asking will put them even more on the defensive but as a matter of routine I suggest to clients that before they leave the room they ask the HCP how many areas they have recommended scores in.

They’re not asking for which areas; the scores or wanting to anticipate the decision. They’re just wanting to ensure everything has been covered. It’s obviously variable but most clients I get feedback from are saying that HCPs will do this. I advise clients to go in with a copy of their claim pack and any of the other evidence they submitted at the time of the claim plus a simple bullet point list of those activities where we agree they score. If the HCP says that they scored in 4 areas but the bulleted list says 5 that then opens the way for further amiable discussion. It also means that the client has ammunition further down the line when they can say “but I specifically raised x with the HCP at the end”.

The only reason I ask them to go in with the claim pack and other submitted evidence is not to force the HCP to reference them on the day or even admit they’ve not seen them or taken account of them but more that they themselves have prompts in front of them. The bullet point list tends to be the most useful thing though.